Today I toured the Archaeological Museum. It was amazing! I didn't have the energy to go to the Acropolis ( I have a bad cold now)- hopefully tomorrow- if it is open- things here are very volatile- with all the strikes. When I came back from the Museum today- on the white board it informed us that all public transportation tomorrow will be closed due to union strikes. (some of us thought it was an April fools joke- it being the 1st an all! but unfortunately it was not so) So far all ferries, buses and trains are shut down tomorrow. Also- some of the air control tower operators are going on strike for a limited time period tomorrow- shutting down part of the airport for several hours. The strike is making getting to the airport for people here- an absolute nightmare. Because the buses stop ruining at 5 in the morning- and the routes are not direct at all- because of all the protesters camped out in streets blocking off the intersections. This is crazy to witness. People are so angry here because they haven't been paid for months. The government has no money to pay its workers.
I went to a travel agent today to book a ferry to an island. I plan on going to Santorini- and maybe 2 other islands- I have to return tomorrow to meet and go over the final plans- They have to locate lodging for me. Hopefully I won't get stranded on an island- hopefully there will be no more public strikes!!! That wouldn't be good!
It is a shock to see international flights actually cancelled out and a bit scary- but I guess it happens here all the time because of the strikes? I am not flying out till the 13th of this month. and I am sure things will be up and running- the strike is only supposed to be a "typical" 24 hr strike :)
I am going to try to get some sleep- although I can't breath-stupid cold! Ohh one thing hilarious about Greece is even though it is about 70 and humid- people are wearing wool coats- because it is their winter here! I am walking around in a T-shirt and jeans and sandals! Greece is very humid- and I would NOT come here in the summer! It would be stifling! And the air quality in Athens is very very very poor! Clean air in OR will be very welcome when I return! Well I am going to try to sleep a bit- 2 of my roommates are packing and leaving to the airport here to try to beat the shut down of the transportation system it is 12:30 AM here and they are hoping to leave by 3:30 am to make it to the airport. The airport is so far away from the city center where the hostel is located which makes things more difficult. Taxis are a possibility but it is expensive and the demand for them tomorrow morning is going to be huge.
Here is a link to the US Sect. of State info regarding the demonstration tomorrow! Exciting!!! I don' t think they are close to where I am.....But one of the demonstration I thought was near the Acropolis which is right next to where I am..... who knows!
http://athens.usembassy.gov/demonstrations_ann.html
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Slightly annoying! Oh well, glad its only 24 hours!
ReplyDelete