Monday, April 6, 2009

Soaking Rain!






















Yesterday I took a boat trip out to a little island that is covered w/ volcanic rocks-well literally all the islands around here are volcanic- not necessarily acting volcanoes- even Santorini is a volcano. So I went out there- making an executive decision- because I had the whole day and there really wasn't anything left to do in town besides shop I would do this trip. It is very important to point out that it was cloudy and there was a 70% of rain according to the weather forecast.

Getting down to the port was cool- you can go by cable car- which was a neat experience. Then the boat came and took us out to the island which was about a 15 min ride from the port. Once we arrived it started pouring. Thank goodness I had my REI soft shell jacket- Braden this thing saved my life!!! It was drenched on the outside but it didn't seep through at all and get me wet- it was wonderful. My jeans were soaked through from the rain and the wind. It wasn't extremely cold out- but it was very very uncomfortable- Now I have lived in OR for quite some time and usually water does not bother me that much!!! but this was not so much fun. The hike lasted for about 45 min. The tour guide was a cool bloat- who kept insisting I was from Ireland because I had red hair. Although he accepted that I lived in the US- he kept saying "your family is from Ireland right?" or "your family's family was from Ireland" they must not get that many redheaded tourists from the states? I am not sure.

So after this hike we head back- the water is very very choppy the waves are probably a couple feet- I love it- I was sitting outside- because even though the water would splash up and get me wet- it was better than getting nauseous by sitting inside a very very small cabin w/ a ton of other people. It was really funny- there was a group of about 9 girls from on spring break- they were studying abroad and they all had worn flip flops? When I think of hiking on volcanic rocks- I must admit flip flops is the first thing that comes to mind!! Ha ha!!! lol (sarcasm here) I couldn't believe it! I had worn my cross trainers and I was very very glad I had them- luckily my feet were dry for the whole day.
Coming back I took the cable car up the mt. I wanted to take the donkey- but it was raining again and I was cold so I decided against it. I returned to my hotel room- saying hello to the few locals I greet everyday! I relaxed and dried off for a few hours- took a short nap- this time setting my alarm so I wouldn't sleep through dinner yet again! It worked- I forced myself out of bed around 6:30 p.m. and marched off to the best gyro stand in Santorini! it is about a 20 min walk from my hotel but it is absolutely worth every step! So after having a scrumptious meal I headed back- this time to only get DRENCHED again! I thought about buying an umbrella- but it seems like such a waste of money because I have so many back home! You know what a thrifty person I am. Instead I made several other mandatory purchases- I bought two hats, and a pair of shoes for Penny! I made it back to the hotel room- sopping- I could literally wring the water out of my jeans for the 2nd time that day! Oh my! Today I am of to the next island- Naxos- the ferry departs at 3:30 I believe. I have to leave the hotel 1 hr before it is a 30 min drive down the cliff to the port. :) Hopefully it won't be raining on the trip?
Ohhh I met another wonderful dog buddy- this one met me after I had stopped in the local supermarket in the morning to pick up my water and a few snacks of fruit for the day. He followed me all the way to the cable car- then he went down the footpath to meet me at the bottom of the port!!! He was there again when I returned from my boat ride. Penny don't you want another dog????? :)

So now I have to pack, shower, and rest up for my traveling today! On to a new adventure!

1 comment: