





Well today was my first official day in Athens- it was quite interesting! I made it to the hostel- after a very confusing taxi ride there. The taxi driver was luckily amazing and although she didn't know where the hostel was- she had to park and walk me to it- because the road we had to take was under construction at last we found it though! I gave her a huge tip for her help! She had to talk the police into even parking in that area because cars weren't supposed to drive on that road- right next to the Acropolis- After checking into the hostel I went on a walk with a new buddy Nikos, that I met while checking into the hostel. We went to the National Gardens, Plaka, areas around the Acropolis, and had a wonderful lunch. Lunch was the most amazing part of the whole day. We are sitting there- eating-Exohikoo- which is pork stuffed w/ tomatoes,green pepper and feta cheese and then the man at the table next to me suddenly completely fell off his chair- his head landing on my backpack which was resting at my feet. He fell like a sack of bricks!!! He had been drinking a pitcher of wine. There was no movement- either before or after he hit the ground- he just laid there completely still. I seriously thought he was dead! He laid there for several seconds- I was just stunned- thinking oh no- this guy is completely dead! But alas after what felt like several minutes- and with the help of the waiters and restaurant help he was awakened- and ok. You see his head was saved by landing on my backpack! otherwise his skull would have hit the cobblestones and it wouldn't have been a pretty sight. Maybe he had narcolepsy- who knows- once awakened he continued smoking and was drinking a new glass of wine! It was incredible- I guess life goes on- welcome to Athens!!!I posted a picture of the almost dead man- he is the one with his hand to his nose! Sidenote- there are lots of stray dogs in Athens- I met Quasi- (short for Quasimoto) which is a gimpy dog which is dating a rather nice looking white dog. I don't have pictures of Quasi but maybe tomorrow our paths will meet again! After lunch we journeyed to the flea market- where hundreds of people tried to get us to enter their shops to buy their goods they were selling. Then we saw a turtle- which I am positive was touring the city of Athens on a small train tour around the city. The turtle- who is yet unnamed is pictured above. We came back the hostel- only to be greeted by some neanderthals from the Midwest. One was proud of his collection of a 1500 lb pig and certain unmentionable parts on his phone- and the conversation quickly got more crude from there. Needless to say I was not impressed by the intellect of my fellow Americans. One (aka Mr. Sizzler- see below)kept insisting that he needed to use my computer to access porn. I extracted myself from the situation by saying I was hungry! We left them to their beer and X-man 3. Dinner was good. After dinner- I wanted to see part of the city at night-which is my favorite time to tour around..... well I heard voices and they were students marching with candles protesting something- marching the Acropolis- I have no clue what they were saying-police were surrounding them it was quite exciting!! We decided we wanted a picture of the rally so we started following them- dodging police cars and trying not to look to conspicuous - and hiding behind bushes. Don't worry all it was a peaceful rally all was quite tame! All this for no good pictures that turned out- just blurry shapes :( After that I wanted a bit of ice cream so we found a shop that was still open around midnight. After sitting down peacefully eating my ice cream- we witnessed a motorcyclist crash into a outdoor restaurant table. After all this action I was excited to return to the hostel and relax. Unfortunately the cowboys/neanderthals- had never left and had continued drinking during all the time we were gone. The one- who I can't stand- informed me we "he and I had to celebrate and sizzle" ICK! He proceeded to wedge his rear in next to where I was sitting- I had to once again relocate. I was not impressed! His new nickname is Mr. Sizzle- Which is not a favorable nickname! He and his buddies have gone out drunk looking for a Big Mac and have yet to return. Tomorrow I will go to the Archaeological Museum and then the Acropolis! I then have to book the remaining part of my trip. PS. Does anyone know if a turtle would eat a gimpy beetle- if it could catch it?
See? I knew your exam typing speed skills would be suited for an occasion like this; writing a long blog inbetween seeing if stupide americains come back!
ReplyDelete